This initiative provides support to First Nations to develop sustainable waste management systems through modern infrastructure, operations, training and partnerships.
Funding is available for a range of waste management activities, such as:
- waste management agreements with municipalities and service providers (municipal-type agreements)
- construction of transfer stations
- construction of engineered landfills in remote and isolated communities
- waste reduction and diversion initiatives such as recycling, composting and hazardous waste management programs
- waste operator training
- waste awareness and education programming
- landfill management and closing of refuse sites
- development of waste management plans and feasibility studies
There is no application deadline. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis.